Tuesday, April 26, 2011

L'keesha's Writer's Chair

I love spring. For me it’s a season of rebirth, creation, and growth, and it presents an opportunity to explore and embrace ideas and approaches that will strengthen and uplift our nation and the communities we share. I was having a conversation with a member of my community – one of my old teachers – and he mentioned to me that 2011 is the UN year for people of African Descent. I was intrigued, so I went online and read all UN statements about this. I discovered a grand call for reflection, acknowledgment, responsibility, and positive action.
QUOTE THE Statement.
Reading these statements makes me think about how as a nation, we have created many categories and identities for ourselves (minority, majority, disenfranchised, privileged, etc.), but no matter what box we put our selves in or have been historically placed in , we all have the ability as holistic individuals to reflect upon our past and the experience of the African in the Americas.
We can acknowledge what we know through remembrance ,learn new truths, and act responsibly and positively to create a truthful, respectful, and honorable existence.
As we examine the U.N. and its agendas, It would be beneficial for people of African Descent and others to identify if this is something that we understand and welcome fully or partially and what it means for the present and future of our society and others.
In all areas, does this bring about Cooperative efforts that are based in respect, truth, and honor?


what things would we like to see implemented that are not included? what existing parts would we like to see implemented?What aspects of it do we/you not agree with and how can we address it?

2 comments:

  1. I disagree the best way to approach this aspect and how to change it, is start with the truth. The truth is this should had never been. We have a Black President and he's not even respected there's no nation unless we all can be together and it hasn't happen for over 400 years. Wow that's really something if it was an reality but what is an African decent, I mean what African are you preferring to? the ones of today? I guess because if you are referring to the American Blacks who's been in this United States as long, if not longer than the American white..The real issue is when will the truth be told

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bill regauding slavery has been sitting on the UN table for ever. And they refuse to see that slavery was a terriorist crime against one group. The language that was once known was taken, their heritage, everything familar to them.So I donot have much faith in the UN.And yes I know about the role, the Africans played in help sailing the slaves. I am sure you will get what you want from the UN.So My sure luck on this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete